Thursday, November 8, 2007

Secular Society Conference

This weekend I am home from college, and I'm going to be attending the Secular Society convention in New York City. I'm looking forward to it even though it doesn't look like it will be as fun as the AAI conference in DC would have been (I missed out on going because I waited too long to purchase my ticket). However Dawkins, who I've been dying to meet, will be there, along with some other pretty interesting people (there is a list of speakers on the site). Unfortunately, Hitchens won't be able to make it because of a last minute assignment in South America, but he did record an interview that will be shown at the convention...which brings me to a point that I'm pretty pissed about. I registered for the convention about a month ago, as a student, since there was a discounted price. However, I was never told that paying the student price automatically places you in the overflow room, from which you receive a live video feed. If I had been told this ahead of time I would have easily payed full price, but I didn't find out until it was too late to upgrade my ticket. So now I'm stuck watching a video feed in a room across from where all the action is.

Oh well, I guess it's better than not being there at all. And apparently there will be book signings and such, so hopefully I'll be able to get a word in with Dawkins at some point. I'll write updates after each day of the convention.

No comments: